Monday, June 28, 2010

hello again!

so yesterday we took the auto train from Florida to Virginia.. there was some time where I honestly thought I could drive faster then the train as going; or that children to ride a bike faster then our speed. We boarded at 3:00 and ate at 9 on the train, but we had a great eating partner a man who was a New York Supreme Court Judge in NYC and lives by the Hudson. He was nice and informative. Sleeping on the train was a chore, the doors constantly opening and lights always on, at least the small child was sound asleep. On the train I contacted (posted on their fb pages) two teachers who taught me hat making at Penland School of Crafts, I knew they lived in Virginia and then I discovered that they live in Petersburg, which we happened to be going through at 6 or 7 ish this morning. Passing through picturesque towns were great, looked like movie sets. We passed through Quantico Virginia - home of FBI training facility and the Marine Corps main base and training facility and where the chopper for the president lives as well as the operators for the chopper. Looked like an interesting place (if only Shemar Moore really was there for the t.v show Criminal Minds.) Anyway all I could think about was a bed and a shower. We did realize there was a Frank Lloyd Wright house 8 min from the train station, but they aren't open on Mondays.. I wanted to go and say we drove all the way from Florida to see the house but for got once we got off, Oh well another trip!

We got off the train and drove to visit my late grand mothers last surviving family member (one of her sisters) she was a hoot, losing her memory for sure, but she is nice as can be and misses my grandmother for sure. They talked # times a day and now she calls us that often, so she misses the companionship. During lunch I felt I was still on the train, had the train spins (or whatever they are called). DC is very confusing we got on a road and then turned around 2 times and finally figured out, we also got hit with a massive rain storm and could only see for a few cars ahead, if even, we were on the edge of our seats. We ended up coming up to Fredrick MD to visit some long time friends. We had a great time walking around the town and having a great dinner. It is such a nice feeling to see friends who we haven't seen in a while.

Now back in hotel and blogging! oh and I forgot to mention my birthday went great! we went out to dinner the 26th - which happened to be our last night in fl(for a few months) and the night before our train ride..don't really feel a day older, but that is every birthday that most of us feel that way.
Miss you all and Ill keep blogging!
xoox

4 comments:

  1. funny...your blog feels strangely like my life....that will change soon when you start your solo adventure with william ivey long studio....I wish you all the best on this wonderful but well deserved experience....good luck...I am sure we will run into you as you run around the city

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry my dear, we will keep an eye on you and this aventuras period. I wish you all the motivation and positive spirit on this journey through this amazing part of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see you last night, Manda!! You look beautiful and have grown into such an amazing woman. Enjoy your NY adventure and don't let the old folks get in your way...they'll nap alot :0. Take it all in, learn alot, have fun, but please listen to your instincts and be careful. Love you...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks all!! keep reading for lots of updates!!

    ReplyDelete